I suggest you ...

APHIS Report Checker

A mobile app that consumers can use at the Point of Sale to check the Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS) record of the provider. For example, a shopper at a pet store wants to buy a parrot. She asks the cashier for the USDA license of the provider, which is available at any pet store and is legal to provide. Any reputable seller will make this available to their customer. The shopper enters the number, say 48-A-2069 and the query returns a count of all non compliance issues....or returns a 'No Non-Compliance issues found' message. If a count is returned the user is able to drill into the items so as to determine if there is a cause for concern in purchasing the bird. This app would help consumers, reputable breeders, APHIS inspectors, pet stores and of course the animals who are protected by the Animal Welfare Act.

The database is almost complete. It could no doubt benefit from a good hard look by some other DB savvy folks. The interface should be ADA compliant (The APHIS Search tools are not currently in compliance). A simple input box and a button with a format check sends the query. The results needn't be fancy. Just fresh, easy to get to and easily digestible...like any self-respecting taco stand. The data should go back ten years but that's ultimately up to the USDA I guess. I have details on the data elements that would be needed to provide an fair and responsible view of the information.

1 vote
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)